Last Leg of The Trip

The day before this picture was taken was supposed to be my last on the roads in South America. The last leg of my trip from the Pantanal in Brazil to Cusco, Peru had some challenging roads. One of the things that was challenging about them was the fact that they were so remote. As a solo motorcycle traveler this can be both exhilarating and scary. Having my bike break and getting stranded in the middle of nowhere was always my biggest fear and of course, on the very last day it finally happened. A few hours into my ride, I was going up a mountain road, when I began to notice that something was off. It is always a struggle getting my bike up mountains, but it sounded like it was working extra hard this time. Just as I turned a corner, I heard a some cracking and crunching. I pulled over and noticed that my chain had broken. The closest town was about 5 mountain miles behind me and I had no way to fix it on my own. My first reaction was to go into an extreme state of panic and imagine all the worst possible scenarios of what could happen. Then I realized that it would be pretty unlikely and embarrassing for me to die just 5 miles from civilization, so I began to strategize a plan. I had seen a few other vehicles(mostly trucks) on the road, so I decided that the only way I could get help would be to catch a ride into town. After spending about an hour and a half trying to wave people down, an elderly man in an old ambulance van finally pulled over and agreed to take me. I very reluctantly left my bike with my big backpack still strapped on the back(I took my smaller backpack with all of my documents and other valuables) and hopped in his car. The whole way I just sat there full of tension and practically in tears thinking about the possibility of someone taking my bike and stuff before I could get back. The driver did his best to reassure me that it would be ok and care-freely sang along to the Quechua tunes on the radio. He dropped me off at a bike shop(someone’s garage) in town and a mechanic took me back to where I had left my bike. Luckily, it was still there and he was able to fix the chain at least temporarily. I spent the night in the town and got a new chain put on because the old one had gotten stretched out. The next day I finally made it to Cusco where I was happily reunited with my dad, who I hadn’t seen since I left the US about a year prior. When I look back on these pictures I find it funny that I made it almost 30,000 miles without any problems with my bike and then on what was supposed to be the very last day, my chain broke in the middle of nowhere. It almost seems like the universe didn’t want my adventure to end. I was also very unsure about the next chapter of my life, but one thing that I did know for sure was that after everything that I had been through, I was finally feeling more ready than ever to take on whatever new challenges that would come my way.